Wednesday, April 7, 2010

World Health Day 2010

Today, April 7, 2010 marks World Health Day.

I've been thinking a lot about my own health habits. It's easy to get complacent when it comes to our health. We expect that our bodies will just keep on functioning like they always have. Usually reality hits us when it's too late.

Staying healthy in body, mind and spirit requires us to make conscious decisions about what we eat, how we travel, and where we invest our time and thoughts.

  • Will breakfast be oatmeal or a bagel? 
  • Will I have herbal tea after dinner or ice cream or cookies? 
  • Will I take the stairs or the elevator to get to my meeting? 
  • Will I bike to school or take the T? 
These decisions are not just my choice, but are heavily influenced by my upbringing, my culture, and my environment. My relationships can influence my decision, my pocketbook can influence my decision, and many other things in my social environment influences both how I perceive my "choice."

This World Health Day is not just about getting your blood pressure checked or getting vaccinated. Yes, health is relative to an individual, but health is among individuals living in families, in communities, in States, in Nations. 

So World Health Day is really about examining our environment (political, social and built) and the norms that prevent people from attaining the highest standard of health for themselves and their family. 

Happy World Health Day! 

No comments: